Saturday, July 16, 2011

Last day of conference

Another full day and more free books!!! :) today we mostly focused on what the museum calls "from memory to action" and addressed the current examples of genocide in places like Bosnia, Darfur, and Rwanda. There was a lot of good ideas about how to include this info in lessons and then we heard Eli Rosenbaum ( the Nazi hunter) speak - he was very interesting. Again the highlight of my day was meeting another Holocaust survivor,this one was Erika. She was a lovely woman with bold blue eyes and a wonderful sense of humor. She did not go to one of the camps but escaped from a Romanian ghetto to Kiev, Ukraine with her sister and eventually made it to Prague where they met up with their parents and stayed for the rest of the war. She married in 1945 and after his death in 1957,she and her sister (and her children) came to the US. I also saw my friend Henry- who spoke the first day of the conference and for the first time saw a tattoo on a survivors arm. It was quite moving. I was sorry to leave the museum and the new friends I had made, but was glad for the experience of it all.
In the evening, Tim and I went on a DC Ghost Tour- it was a lot of fun- our guide, dressed in Victorian attire, showed us several houses, churches and even the white house that were "haunted". He was very informative and entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment